HOCKESSIN, Del. (WPVI) -- An assisted living facility in Hockessin, Delaware was evacuated Friday after elevated levels of carbon monoxide were detected in the building.
It was around 8:30 a.m. when a boiler backfired at the Cokesbury Village Retirement/Assisted Living Facility on the 700 block of Loveville Road.
Staff called 911, firefighters responded, and an evacuation order was given.
A second alarm was sounded at 10:05 for additional manpower to assist in the evacuation.
Five residents were transported to the hospital for evaluation as a precaution.
The source of the CO was traced to a problem with the HVAC boiler.
Apartments were opened up for ventilation.
Residents were allowed to return to their apartments shortly before 3:00 p.m.
Cokesbury Village has 125 independent living apartments in the eight story high-rise building.
Carbon monoxide leak prompts evacuation of assisted living facility
More TOP STORIES News