An 80-year-old building that once housed a Milk Bone dog biscuit factory has been granted historic status by the New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission.
The lower Manhattan factory was constructed by Wheatsworth, Inc., a cracker and flour manufacturer that also invented Milk Bones.
The Wheatsworth building - by industrial bakery designer J. Edwin Hopkins - was completed in 1928.
It features a granite base, terra cotta pilasters etched with bundles of wheat stalks, and several bands of multi-colored terra cotta friezes, which are typical of the Art Deco style.
The faEcade's projecting vertical piers and abstract sculptural forms are characteristic of the Viennese Secessionist style.