Pigeons electrocuted by utility line

GARFIELD, N.J. (AP) - November 12, 2008

Rita Skultety has found dozens of birds zapped by an overhead wire off River Drive in the last 14 months.

Last month, she gathered as many birds as she could and took them to Franklin Lakes Animal Hospital.

There, workers found some pigeons with their beaks melted and feathers burned. Some had to euthanized and others were taken to the Raptor Trust in Somerset County for rehabilitation.

PSE&G tells The Record of Bergen County engineers believe a faulty conductor was to blame. Repairs were made, but the utility says there's no guarantee tha

t the birds won't come into contact with a power line again.
Copyright © 2022 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.