Firefighters pull woman from burning apt.

SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - December 23, 2008

The fire broke out at about 3:30 AM on the first floor of a three-story converted row home on the 900 block of Federal Street.

When firefighters arrived they were told a that a woman on the first floor was trapped

inside.

They battled through flames and smoke to rescue her.

She is in critical condition at Jefferson Hospital with third-degree burns.

It took firefighters about 20 minutes to gain control of the blaze.

The building has five units but only two of them were occupied. The other resident, a man on the second floor, managed to get out safely.

PECO is restoring power to neighboring homes that lost it during the fire.

Investigators are trying to determine if a gas leak sparked the blaze.

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.

Copyright © 2020 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.