Economists expected a 0.3 percent rise, according to Thomson Reuters.
Automakers led the rebound, as the production of motor vehicles and parts rose 20.1 percent, after falling for three straight months.
General Motors and Chrysler last month reopened many plants that had been closed in May and June as the companies restructured and emerged from bankruptcy protection.
More money-related links:
- Save money with Local Coupons
- Coupon Bug helps you save cash
- Saving with 6abc reports
- Share on the Saving with 6abc Message Board
- Track your stocks
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- The latest Philadelphia headlines from the Delaware and Lehigh valleys