Dollar General's stock, which trades under the ticker "DG," rose $1.17, or 5.5 percent, to $22.17 in morning trading.
The company, which is based in Goodlettsville, Tenn., late Thursday priced its offering of 34.1 million shares at $21 each, raising $716.1 million. That was the low end of its proposed range of $21 to $23 per share.
The company is one of the nation's largest discount chains with more than 8,500 stores in 35 states.
During the recession, discounters like Dollar General Corp. have thrived as consumers scale back their spending.
More money-related links:
- Save money with Local Coupons
- Coupon Bug helps you save cash
- Saving with 6abc reports
- Share on the Saving with 6abc Message Board
- Track your stocks
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- The latest Philadelphia headlines from the Delaware and Lehigh valleys