The new signs have little resemblance to the older-style black-and-white signs with cursive script shown briefly in the hit 1999 horror film. Souvenir seekers repeatedly stole those.
The new sign is blue with white letters and red stars. It notes that the town of fewer than 200 people was established in 1824 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Mayor Debby Burgoyne tells The Frederick News-Post she hopes thieves won't be interested in the newer-looking signs.
Most of the movie was filmed in a state park about 25 miles away.