37 left homeless after AC rooming house fire

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - August 29, 2010

Fire crews were called out to the 1400 block of Memorial Avenue, which is a small alley off Pacific Avenue, around midnight where they found flames shooting from a building.

With the fire quickly spreading throughout the property fire crews called in a second alarm.

In an attempted to escape the flames, a woman dropped her two children out of a second floor window to rescuers below, she then jumped to safety.

An elderly man also had to be rescued. Firefighters helped the man out of a window and guided him down a ladder.

The fire has left thirty adults and seven children homeless. They are currently being provided shelter at the Days Inn in Egg Harbor Township.

One of the residents using a hot plate reportedly sparked the fire accidentally.

Copyright © 2020 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.