Fall is one of the fashion industry's favorites, and the look this year is decidedly different.
We asked fashion expert Nicole Cashman to walk us through the trends.
While black never goes out of style, color is definitely in this year. Brown works, as do shades of green, especially olive, plus blue and even violet. If you do see black, it'll likely be as an accent or as part of a pattern.
Animal prints are big for women, and the zipper is more than functional. Oversized zippers, maybe many of them, will be the signature embellishment of the season. Zippers are showing up on shirts, skirts, shoes and boots, and especially on bags. A big shoulder bag may have three or more, and all probably oversized.
There is no single hemline trend for women, but what you choose must work as part of your outfit.
Boots are so important that you'll probably want more than one pair. If you wear knee-length boots, they'll probably work best with a shorter skirt. Ankle-top boots may have a military look, but accented with shearling wool. Boots are also showing up in men's wardrobes. The guide boot is a popular choice.
Women's coats are more than practical this year. They've almost become another accessory, so you'll probably want more than one. Again, coordinate your selection with the rest of your outfit. Faux fur is showing up on a lot of women's coats this season. Animal prints may show up anywhere, and not necessarily in "natural" colors.
As for men, cardigan sweaters will be big this season, for a soft look. These will go well over a muted plaid shirt. Plaid also works in men's slacks and sportcoats; but make sure the color palette works together.
If you need help selecting your new fall wardrobe, fashion magazines are always a good start. When it's time to shop, let the staff at a store you trust help you out. Remember, they've been working with these fabrics and cuts for weeks.
Here is a complete list of the items Nicole Cashman selected to feature in our report, complete with the stores where you'll find them:
Women's - Cut-Outs
Cut-outs are great for a chic sexy look this fall with a discreet peek-a-boo style that can be seen on all items from dresses to t-shirts to pants and leggings and even shoes! This look from Denim Habit includes:
* The cold shoulder sweatshirt by Miss Ferriday in Smoke - $141.00 - Made of Rayon and Nylon with lace detail.
* DL1961 "Joy" High rise kick flare in Dazed. $158.00.
* Denim Habit Suburban Square, 27 St. George's Road, Ardmore, PA, 610-649-3419 The Promenade, 500 Route 73 South, Marlton, NJ, 856-596-2121
Women's - 20th Century Military
Military-inspired fashions remain in full force this fall, although a bit more subtle this year compared to previous years. This fall's military look draws inspiration from 20th century military uniforms, from brass buttons to cargo pockets, army green of course, and combat boots are adorable. This look from Scoop at The Pier Shops at Caesars is a must have:
* Helmut Lang Silk Print Tee; Camouflage - $195.00.
* Marrakech Army Pant; Army Green. - $130.00.
* Matt Bernson Shearling Boot; Black. - $300.00.
* Scoop at The Pier Shops at Caesars - www.thepiershopsatcaesars.com
1 Atlantic Ocean #4111, Atlantic City, NJ 08401
Women's - Animal Prints/Faux Fur and zippers
Animal prints as well as faux fur are really being played up this season! Animal prints in non-traditional colors such as blue are really making a statement. Faux fur is strongly emphasized this fall, this animal friendly alternative looks just as chic as the original. These animal inspired looks add a bit of drama to any outfit like this one from Boyds Philadelphia.
* Blu Girl leopard print dress - $495.00.
* Alice and Olivia faux fur belted coat with silk inverted pleats - $495.00.
* Sergio Rossi leather boot - $1195.00.
* Philosophy Di Alberta Feretti shoulder bag with zipper details - $595.00.
* Boyds Philadelphia - www.boydsphila.com
1818 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103-4996
Men's - Well-Bred Woodsman
This look is all about soft, unstructured jackets, cardigans and cable knits, layered and finished with chunky boots. Men can channel hunter chic and pull off that perfect combination of grizzly & classy. Here is a great example of that rugged look from Art in the Age in Old City.
* Gitman Brothers long sleeve vintage stripe shirt - $130.00.
* Alfred Jaquard Cardigan by NSF - $190.00.
* Stapleton Penfield Vest - $176.00.
* Slim belt by Billy Kirk - $100.00.
* Yuketen Maine Guide Boots - $440.00/
* Art in the Age in Old City - www.artintheage.com
116 North 3rd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106-1802
Men's - Checks and plaids; color - blues and greens
Greens and blue are really being featured in men's lines this fall. Plaid, preppy pieces such as sport coats and flannel are frequent pieces seen this season. This is a great example from Boyds Philadelphia showing how a little color really makes the look.
* Basile Olive Green with grey/cobalt multi-plaid sport coat - $1295.00.
* Trussini cobalt blue flannel trousers - $215.00.
* Eton blue and white mini checked shirt - $235.00.
* Ermenegildo Zegna navy/olive repp stripe tie - $175.00 -and blue floral print pocket square - $125.00 -
* Santoni brown leather loafer - $455.00.
* Trafalgar brown calf leather belt - $85.00
* Boyds Philadelphia - www.boydsphila.com
1818 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103-4996)