Fire at NJ high school blamed on squirrel

GALLOWAY TOWNSHIP, N.J. - November 3, 2010

Bayview Volunteer Fire Company assistant chief Chuck Mackintosh says the squirrel shorted out a transformer at Absegami High School on Tuesday.

Mackintosh tells The Press of Atlantic City one of three air conditioners then shorted out. Mackintosh says the remaining air conditioners overheated and caught fire.

Students spent the rest of the school day on the football field or in the stands.

No one was injured.

Absegami High School is closed Wednesday because of the power problem.

---

Information from: The Press of Atlantic City, http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com

Copyright © 2020 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.