Elderly man suffers burns in Longport fire

LONGPORT, N.J. - December 19, 2010

Fire broke out around 11:30 p.m. in the beach block of South Colgate Street in Longport.

A Longport police officer was on patrol and saw smoke coming from a home.

When the officer pulled up to the residence, he saw active flames inside of the home.

Arriving crews say the entire house was engulfed in flames. Firefighters quickly went to work and called in neighboring fire companies to help fight the blaze.

One elderly male who lived in the home by himself was taken by ambulance to AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center in Atlantic City suffering from burns and smoke inhalation.

Preliminary reports say the fire was started by cooking.

Copyright © 2022 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.