Flames damage Washington Twp. home

WASHINGTON TWP., N.J. - December 24, 2010

Flames broke out at 5:41 a.m. on the 300 block of Wilson Road.

Initial reports indicate there was a fire in the basement and the house was filling up with smoke.

The first fire units arrived and found the large 2 and 1/2-story house with fire in the basement. Firefighters gained accessed to the basement and extinguished the bulk of the fire but the flames had already traveled up the walls and were consuming much of the attic.

A second alarm was struck at 6:06 a.m. and the fire was finally brought under control at 7:07 a.m.. The scene was cleared at 9:00 a.m.

There was extensive damage in the walls of all three floors of the house. All three family members who were home at the time of the fire escaped injury and are staying with nearby relatives.

The fire is being investigated by the Washington Township Fire Department.

The cause of the fire appears to be combustibles stored too close to the home's main heater in the basement.

Copyright © 2019 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.