Fumes in vacant Pa. building kill 1, injure 3

May 8, 2011 4:55:03 PM PDT
Authorities say a worker died and three others were injured by chemical fumes from cooling units in a vacant communications building.

State police in Chester County said the 28-year-old Philadelphia man who died was part of a company hired to remove mechanical equipment and scrap material from the Charlestown Township building.

Police said two men entered the building at about 10:30 a.m. Saturday to open garage doors for two co-workers, but they were apparently overcome by fumes from air conditioning units in the mechanical room. The second men tried to summon help from the co-workers, but the three failed. All were removed by fire rescuers.

Officials said the four were taken to Paoli Hospital, where the victim was pronounced dead and the other three were treated.