It happened Wesdnesay night in the 100 block of Burnside Avenue, in West Norriton.
Firefighters had thought they discovered a meth lab at a home on the street.
They blocked off traffic for more than nine hours, while they examined chemicals in the home and removed them.
Officials later determined the questionable materials in the house were chemicals the homeowner used for a cleaning service.
The township says the hazmat scare started when one of its employees was delivering a sewage bill to the house, and smelled a strange odor.
That employee also spotted unlabeled chemical bottles in the yard.