What you need to know about hurricane insurance

PHILADELPHIA - August 27, 2011

RELATED: Get the latest track of Irene with the 6abc.com Hurricane Tracker.

So here's what you need to know:

Your standard homeowners insurance should cover any damage caused by hurricane winds, but check your policy to make sure.

Also, see if you have a separate hurricane deductible.

And this is perhaps even more critical - While standard policies cover damage from wind, they do NOT cover damage from water. For that you need flood insurance, which is available through the National Flood Insurance program.

You can buy flood insurance from your regular insurance agent or broker, but there's typically a 30-day waiting period before it goes into effect.

So while it's too late to get insurance for Irene, remember, we are only halfway through hurricane season so you should still consider buying.

Another thing to remember as we go into this weekend, heavy rain and wind obviously make for dangerous driving conditions.

Nearly half the people who die in flash flood are in cars.

So here are a few things to remember:

Fill up your tank before the storm hits, that way you'll have enough gas if you need to evacuate and you may also save some money.

Also, make sure your vehicle's window wipers and lights are working properly. Remember, in Pennsylvania, when your wipers are on, your headlights must be on, too.

Also, do NOT try to drive through high water. Just six inches of water can make you lose control of your car.

And if your vehicle is flooded, do NOT try to start it. Instead, call a qualified technical.

LINK: http://midatlantic.aaa.com/HurricaneIrene2011


RELATED: How to prepare for Hurricane Irene

Copyright © 2023 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.