NYC's subway back on track after Irene

NEW YORK (AP) - August 29, 2011

Trains and buses in and around the metropolitan area faced their first major test as millions of commuters ventured to work for the first time since the storm hit.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority announced that limited service had resumed at 5:40 a.m. across the area. Metro-North Railroad, which serves the city's northern suburbs, remained closed because of flooding and other storm-related damage. New Jersey Transit trains were also suspended.

MTA spokesman Charles Seaton said subways were running smoothly, if a little more slowly than usual at first. He said commuters should expect a bit more crowding but otherwise service was normal.

Riders who had expected a difficult time getting to work said they were relieved.

"The subway is running very well. I can't believe it, they did a great job," said Dominic Cecala, who took an E train from the city's west side to lower Manhattan. "If they hadn't stopped the trains on Saturday, it would have been a mess."

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and the MTA announced late Sunday that the subways would reopen in time for the next day's early morning rush hour. They cautioned that service might be less frequent than normal and customers should expect more crowded trains.

The MTA's decision Saturday to halt all subways, buses and commuter trains in preparation for the storm - the first time a natural disaster ever closed the system down - had threatened to disrupt the start of the work week in the nation's most populous metropolitan area.

Long Island Rail Road was dealing with storm-related service disruptions. Five of LIRR's 11 lines were suspended and the others were experiencing delays of up to an hour.

PATH trains in and out of the city from New Jersey were operating on a normal schedule. Greg Kurilli, an electrician who works in lower Manhattan, arrived at the World Trade Center PATH station from Jersey City on time.

"I hope I won't be working anywhere near the water," he said.

Ferries to and from Staten Island were running well. Joe Dinguis, a 56-year old career counselor, expected problems getting from his home in Staten Island to his job in Brooklyn. But as he disembarked from the ferry in lower Manhattan, he said his trip had gone smoothly so far.

"Everything's fine today," including the Staten Island Railway, he said.

At New York's Penn Station, commuters hoping to take New Jersey transit were surprised to learn it was still shut down.

"I got here and it was closed. I've got to call my boss," said Rosa Carrasquillo of Perth Amboy, N.J. "I was shocked, I don't know what happened. I really need to get to work today."

The center of Irene passed over Central Park at midmorning Sunday packing 65 mph winds, but damage to New York City was less than feared. An evacuation order for low-lying city neighborhoods was lifted Sunday afternoon. By Sunday night, limited bus service started up.

With a daily ridership of more than 5 million, New York City's subway system is by far the nation's largest. Many New Yorkers do not have cars and would be hard-pressed to get around without the subway.

The MTA's Seaton said the agency had done simulated runs throughout the subway system all night in order to be ready for Monday's commute.

"Suspending service allowed the MTA to secure equipment, thus expediting the return to service," Cuomo said in a statement.

Copyright © 2022 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.