The explosion happened around 4:30 a.m. on the 2500 block of 42nd Street.
A Winnebago now serves as a shelter for the Muniz Family, after their home was badly damaged in the blaze.
"My sister's husband came and said 'I smell smoke. I smell smoke. We have to get out' and the alarms started going off" said Marsil Muniz.
The family of five awoke at 4:45 this morning when someone heard a bang and smelled smoke.
The fire department was called in and as several firefighters went in to investigate, a second natural gas explosion occurred.
"The Battalion Chief was literally thrown over the railing of the front porch onto the front yard. All the other members suffered minor injuries from the explosion," said Chief Joseph Palumbo.
The injured firefighters were rushed to Cooper Medical Center for treatment.
"We were fortunate enough not to suffer any catastrophic loss" said Chief Palumbo.
The Muniz family is also grateful.
"Thank God no one lost a life," said Muniz.
In addition to the eight firefighters, one EMT was also injured.
All but one were treated and released. He remains in fair condition.