Driver charged with murder, DUI in Tacony accident

Chopper 6 was over the scene Thursday morning where two cars collided in Philadelphia's Tacony section. The crash happened around 8:30 a.m. at the intersection of Ditman Street and Disston Street. The driver and passenger in one of the vehicles died at the scene. The driver of the other vehicle is being charged with DUI.

April 26, 2012 8:16:50 PM PDT
Police have charged a 26-year-old driver after a fatal accident that killed two people.

The accident occurred approximately at 8:22 a.m. Thursday along the 4600 block of Disston Street in the Tacony section of Philadelphia.

Police say a Chevrolet Camaro was traveling eastbound on Disston Street when it disregarded the stop sign at Ditman.

At that time, a Kia, police say, was traveling northbound on Ditman Street when it was struck on the driver side door at the intersection of Disston by the Chevrolet.

Police say the Kia caught on fire and the 26-year-old female driver and 31-year-old male passenger had to be extracted from the vehicle.

They were both pronounced dead at the scene.

The names of the victims have not been released pending family notification.

The driver of the Chevrelot has been identified as 26-year-old George Vidra from the 7800 block of Lorna Drive.

Vidra is charged with Driving Under the Influence and 2-counts of the following: Homicide by Vehicle, Homicide by Vehicle while DUI, Murder, and related offenses.

Harry Peters was driving his grandchildren to school and witnessed the crash.

"I seen the silver car coming across Ditman, and then it went airborne and landed right where it's at now," said Peters.

There were a number of people on the street who saw the aftermath of the crash.

"We just heard the explosion. We ran over and the car was on fire. We pulled them over there but they were dead already," said Barry Green.

"There were people circling around the car, neighbors and lawn care specialists, frantically circling the car. Then, I realized what they were doing. It took a while for the responders to get here but they were already gone," said Christina Pfeifer.