Montco man charged with contract killing

NORRISTOWN, Pa. - August 3, 2012

Tyuan Simon is charged with first degree murder, criminal solicitation to commit murder, criminal conspiracy to commit murder and related charges for his alleged role in the killing of Tyree Whiting.

Police say it was around 10:00 p.m. on October 19, 2010 when Norristown police responded to the 1100 Block of Swede Street for a report of shots fired. Arriving officers found 34-year-old Tyree Whiting dead, having been shot numerous times.

During the course of the last two years investigators learned that a person going by the name "L.B." was responsible for murder. "L.B." was later identified as Bruce Woods, Jr. The investigation also revealed that Tyuan Simon had allegedly hired Woods gun down Whiting.

As for motive, police say Whiting and Simon previously dated the same female, and prior to his death, Whiting and Simon were at odds over the woman.

On the night of the murder, Simon and Woods allegedly spoke at the Uptown Roo House Tavern, located on the 1000 Block of Willow Street. During the conversation, police say Simon told Woods that Tyree Whiting had provided information against Simon to the police. Simon then told Woods that he had a "dime" (street slang for $10,000) on the victim's head.

Woods allegedly agreed to kill Whiting for the $10,000 bounty, and at 9:46 p.m. when Whiting left the Roo House Tavern and headed toward Swede Street, Woods followed, pulled out his gun and demanded Whiting to empty his pockets. The victim turned over cash and a small baggie of suspected drugs.

After turning over the items Whiting ran, and that's when Woods opened fire. Wounded, Whiting fell to the ground. Woods then allegedly stood over him and fired several more shots into the victim, killing him.

Woods was later arrested and pled guilty to third degree murder, criminal conspiracy to commit murder, two counts of robbery, possession of a firearm and related offenses. Woods admitted to killing Tyree Whiting at the direction of Tyuan Simon. Woods faces up to 77-154 years in prison as a result of his plea.

Simon was arrested on August 2, 2012 at the State Correctional Institute at Forest where he was serving a prison sentence.

Copyright © 2020 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.