Fire at Berks Co. mushroom farm ruled accidental

RUSCOMB MANOR TWP., Pa. - August 22, 2012

They say the inferno at the Giorgi Mushroom Company in Ruscomb Manor Township was sparked by an electrical malfunction in a utility room.

The blaze broke out at around 7:00 p.m. Wednesday.

Reports said flames shot as high as 20 feet in the air and the plume of smoke could be seen several miles away in Reading, Pa.

The multi-alarm blaze closed a part of Route 73 near Hartz Road.

No one was injured.

Damage to the facility is estimated at $300,000.

Copyright © 2021 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.