Fall 2012 is strongly in the latter category. Fashion expert Nicole Cashman told Action News the new season relies on denim as most do, but this time it's anything but blue.
Other colors, especially earth tones and compatible shades, are "in". So are patterns and textures. A lot of what's actually denim looks like anything but. Some looks more like leather, for example.
Speaking of patterns, the bohemian look remains key for women. Layering is always big for fall, and it is again this year. So you start with fewer pieces when the weather's relatively warm, and add until you get toward winter.
Thanks in part to the London Olympics, and partly because of Princess Kate, there;s also a strong British influence in women's fashion this year. Her "fascinator" hat is a must-buy, and women will enjoy hats on many occasions, not just on an evening out.
Wristwatches are big for men and women, and you might want to think about owning more than one. It's a fashion accessory, not just a utilitarian timepiece. The "in" watches are large, even clunky. Any metal tone works, but red-gold is particularly in just now.
Handbags this season are right down the middle, neither the tiny clutch nor the luggage-like big bag. Color is huge for handbags this season, and you might want to think about a brightly-colored leather bag if you're so included. Color is also big for women's shoes.
The look features a platform sole and a capped toe. Men are wearing fairly-traditional suits, but gray replaces black as the color of choice.
Pattern and texture shows up in men's shirts, where you might see a solid-color collar atop a plaid body. Colors for men are subtler but definitely present, and blues and greens will predominate.Here's a list of where items featured in our story are sold:
Prints are here to stay, but this fall, keep a lookout for harder, bolder prints- rather than spring and summer's light and airy trend. From geometric and digital to python and Aztec, the underlying theme is bold prints. Tali's Aztec-inspired printed top pairs perfectly with these high-rise flared ruby colored jeans. Yes, colored denim is carrying over into fall wardrobes popping up everywhere in splashes of royal blue, burgundy, bright red as well as earth tones like moss green, clay and rust.
* Fifteen Twenty Aztec Ruffle Front Top ($187.00), available at Denim Habit.
*Dylan Alexa Blazer ($120.00), available at Denim Habit.
* DL 1961 Flare denim in Quartz ($178.00), available at Denim Habit.
* Beaded earrings from TownHome Jewelry.
*Silver David Yurman cuff, available at Bernie Robbins Jewelers.
* Patent leather booties, available at Joan Shepp.
* Michael Kors Sunglasses, available at Michael Kors at The Pier Shops at Caesars.
Fall 2012 Trend: Menswear Inspired
Menswear and suiting are a big trend in women's wear. Tweed and wool jackets incorporate fun colors and prints to add a feminine touch, like this stunning Dries Van Noten belted blazer on paired perfectly with a chic pair of black trousers. Pair with a crisp, white shirt and top off the look with a must-have jewel-tone statement handbag for a fresh, office-appropriate look. Have fun mixing textures, too! A menswear inspired blazer looks great with other textures like chunky knits and leathers for a more casual occasion.
* Dries Van Noten Blazer, available at Joan Shepp.
* Céline White with Blue Cuff Shirt, available at Joan Shepp.
* Dries Van Noten shoes, available at Joan Shepp.
* Yves Saint Laurent Blue Statement Bag, available from Joan Shepp.
* Gold Michael Kors Watch ($250.00) from Bernie Robbins Jewelers.
* John Hardy two-tone silver and 18K gold earrings ($695.00) from Bernie Robbins Jewelers.
Fall 2012 Trend : Color Blocking
Color blocking remains a hot trend into fall. We're seeing color blocking of all kinds on tops, pants and of course dresses in bold color combinations and classic black and white. We choose this classic ladylike color blocked dress for a more sophisticated look. The contrasting black and white dress works to create an exaggerated, desirable hourglass figure while remaining thoroughly modern. Sticking to a neutral palette also allows you to incorporate a splash of color with the season's popular accessory trends, such as a sliced gemstone necklace and matching earrings in emerald green - another popular color trend for fall - from Bernie Robbins. Finish the look by adding a little London flair with this adorable fascinator. This look is classic, slimming and right on trend.
* Irina Sigal Color Block Dress (price upon request), available at Irina Sigal Designs and Joan Shepp.
* Helene Berman head piece ($145.00), available at Joan Shepp.
* Steve Madden Illusion pumps in black with gold cap toes ($99.95), available at Steve Madden.
*14k gold and emerald green colored sliced avent gemstone necklace ($2,200.00) from Bernie Robbins Jewelers.
*14k gold and emerald green colored avent slice gemstone earrings (1,125.00) from Bernie Robbins Jewelers.
*Roberto Coin 18k gold and diamond triple strand bracelet ($5,800.00) from Bernie Robbins Jewelers.
Fall 2012 Trend: Rugged Meets Refined
Men's sportswear is taking inspiration from across the pond too this season, too; inspired in part by the British sportsman, rustic men are being mindful of their layering and combing rustic classics in more modern silhouettes, such as this 611 flannel shirt topped with a slim, four-pocket jacket in a rainwear-inspired fabric. Neutral tones of browns and greens are big this season and make this look an approachable trend for men of all ages.
* 611 Olive Plaid Flannel ($76.00), available at Metro Men's Clothing.
* Cream Henley by Penguin ($69.00), available at Metro Men's Clothing.
* Report Collection Four Pocket Jacket in Sand ($159.00), available at Metro Men's Clothing.
* Report Collection Pant in Taupe ($119.00), available at Metro Men's Clothing.
* Steve Madden Sulstice boots ($189.95), available at Steve Madden.
*David Yurman silver necklaces (two, show layered), available at Bernie Robbins Jewelers.
* Michael Kors Watch ($195.00) from Bernie Robbins Jewelers.
Designers at New York Fashion Week offered fall collections filled with tailored suits and trendy looks for men, and that's a good thing because men are really putting more time and effort into shopping this season. We are seeing younger, educated men seeking suites. Men are more in tune with trends thanks to men's fashion magazines and style blogs and have high expectations for tailored clothing. We choose this sharp, three-piece Ben Sherman suit from Metro Men's Clothing to offer an example of this trend. The grey offers a great alternative to basic black. We paired this with a blue shirt and blue striped tie to mimic the look that we saw stylish celebrities like Robert Pattinson wear on the red carpet. Description:
* Plectrum by Ben Sherman Grey Flannel Suit Jacket ($259.00), available at Metro Men's Clothing.
* Plectrum by Ben Sherman Grey Flannel Suit Pants ($139.00), available at Metro Men's Clothing.
* Plectrum by Ben Sherman Grey Flannel Vest ($119.00), available at Metro Men's Clothing.
* Report Collection Blue Collared Shirt ($XX), available at Metro Men's Clothing.
* Daniel Slim Tie ($35.00), available at Metro Men's Clothing.
* Cole Haan cap to Oxfords ($198), available at Cole Haan.
* Michael Kors Watch ($275.00), available at Bernie Robbins Jewelers.
WHERE TO SHOP:
Bernie Robbins Jewelers - PA Locations: St. Davids, Newtown; NJ Locations: Marlton, Somers Point, Atlantic City. 800.BERNIE.R.
Cole Haan - 1600 Walnut Street Philadelphia. 215.985.580.
Joan Shepp - 1616 Walnut Street, Philadelphia. 215.735.2666.
Metro Men's Clothing - 1615 East Passyunk Avenue, Philadelphia. 267.324.5172.
The Pier Shops at Caesars - One Atlantic Ocean, Atlantic City, NJ. 609.345.3100.
Steve Madden - 1723 Walnut Street, Philadelphia. 215.854.9401.
TownHome Jewelry & Boutique - 1616 Walnut Street, Philadelphia. 215.972.5100.
Our thanks to Hotel Palomar on South 17th Street in Center City for hosting our fashion report this fall.