Police ID suspect in South Philadelphia face slashing

January 8, 2013 2:23:11 PM PST
Police have released the identity of the man charged with the robbery and slashing of a woman last November in South Philadelphia.

South Detectives announced the arrest of 30-year-old Cory Harley of the 600 block of South Street on Tuesday. He is charged with aggravated assault, robbery, theft and possession of an instrument of crime.

Detectives say they brought Harley in for questioning after receiving a tip call on Sunday. Following his interview, police recovered the knife he allegedly used and the clothing he wore in a sewer near Harley's home.

The victim, 23-year-old Ashley Hackett, said she got the call informing her of the arrest on Monday night.

"It was overwhelming. I was with family and I couldn't believe it actually happened," she said.

That wound needed 100 stitches to be closed. Those stitches are now out, but the images remain fresh in her mind.

"I'm battling a struggle with patience. Healing doesn't move as fast as you want it too," Hackett said.

Hackett, and her family, thanked police on Tuesday. But police are also thanking her for taking her case to the public to get answers.

"I didn't want someone else to get hurt and I'm really glad it's over and he's not on the street anymore," Hackett said.

The robbery happened at 4:05 a.m. back on November 11th along the 700 block of South 9th Street.

Police say Harley approached Hackett from behind and struck her in the face with a knife, causing a large cut.

Harley then grabbed Hackett's purse and fled north on 9th Street, then east on Fitzwater Street.

The purse was later found in a small alley at 800 Kenilworth Street.

Investigators released surveillance video of the suspect after the attack.

Police say Harley is no stranger to them and they are now investigating if he is responsible for other similar crimes. He is in jail on $500,000 bail.

The Philadelphia Fraternal Order of Police issued a $7,500 reward for information leading to an arrest in this case. In addition, the City of Philadelphia had posted a reward of $5,000 for the arrest and conviction of the suspect. There is no word on if anyone has collected the reward money.