Florida boy survives being sucked into drainpipe

FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) - August 2, 2013

The Fort Myers News-Press reports the child ended up in the Caloosahatchee River. He was able to climb to safety before the adults who were running toward the river heard him yelling Thursday afternoon.

Fort Myers Battalion Chief Chris Bevan says the boy was swept about 300 yards through the drainpipe. He had been playing with friends, who ran to tell adults what happened.

Bevan says the boy was extremely lucky he wasn't knocked unconscious because he could have drowned.

Copyright © 2020 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.