Police ID man shot by U.S. Marshals outside Chart House at Penn's Landing

PHILADELPHIA - October 17, 2013

The shooting happened shortly before 5:00 p.m. Thursday at 555 South Christopher Columbus Boulevard.

The suspect is identified as 27-year-old Eugene Dykes, Jr. of South Philadelphia.

Police say Dykes was out on parole when he recently assaulted his father with a knife and then, just last week, he tried to burn his father's house down with him in it.

The U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force had been searching for Dykes when they received information he may be dropping his girlfriend off at the Chart House restaurant where she works.

Authorities say an undercover team had the place staked out when he pulled into the parking lot.

They surrounded his car and told him to freeze, but a witness says he apparently was not going to go down easy.

"It seemed that he was stuck and then the second that he popped it in reverse, I guess they took it as a threat," eyewitness Drew Roman said.

Authorities say he crashed into a black Infinity SUV and tried to ram two parole officers who were working with marshals to capture him.

"You can see his car doors opened over there. He actually got one of the parole officers and was actually dragging him," Assistant Chief U.S. Marshal Tom Smith said, adding, "At that time, before he was able to crush the other officer, a couple of the other task force officers including deputy marshals and a state parole officer discharged their weapons."

Dykes was shot several times and rushed to Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in critical condition.

His girlfriend was uninjured and taken in for questioning.

Dykes was already out on parole after he and his family attacked two trash collectors back in 2005 during a dispute about trash collection on the block.

Meanwhile, the Fugitive Task Force has been very busy of late. It is comprised not just of marshals, but Philadelphia police, state police, parole officers and others.

"It's the best of the best come together to go after the worst of the worst. And that's what these guys do as a unit," Smith said.

Authorities say the two parole officers suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Copyright © 2022 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.