The blast happened at 10:00 p.m. Wednesday in the 500 block of South 50th Street.
Officials say a transformer exploded on a utility pole and caught fire, knocking out power to 100 residential customers.
It couldn't have happened on a worse night, with the temperatures in the single digits.
The fire was extinguished, and Peco crews arrived with a new transformer.
It took them several hours to remove the old one and replace it, their work hampered by the ice, snow and frigid temperatures.
Emergency officials offered shelter to the affected residents at the nearby Huey School, but only one family took advantage of that.
Everyone else hunkered down in their homes and tried to stay warm.
"We noticed at about 10 o'clock everything went out," said resident Bridgett McCoy. "I was already in bed because I have to be at work at 5 in the morning. So we just tried to tough it out. But it's 4:00 a.m. and I had to leave my house. It's too cold. It's 45 degrees in there."
The power was finally restored just before 6:00 a.m. The Action Cam captured the magic moment when front porch lights went back on again.
Despite a cold and uncomfortable night for everyone, there were no reports of injuries.