Girlfriend charged with murder in death of Darby police officer

Tuesday, March 31, 2015
27-year-old Tyaina Finch is facing 1st and 3rd degree murder and related charges in the death of her boyfriend, Officer Mark Hudson.

DARBY, Pa. (WPVI) -- Delaware County Prosecutor Jack Whelan announced Tuesday that murder charges have been filed against the girlfriend of a Darby Township police officer, who was killed Saturday inside his Glenolden home.

27-year-old Tyaina Finch is charged with with 1st and 3rd degree murder and related offenses in the death of her boyfriend, Officer Mark Hudson.

She is currently being held without bail, and if convicted she faces life in prison.

Finch was already being held on lesser charges stemming from an incident that happened in August of last year when she allegedly threatened Hudson with a knife.

Whelan says Finch told a number of inconsistent accounts of how Hudson died. The first was that their dog walked into the room with Hudson's service revolver in its mouth. She said when she went to retrieve the weapon, the the gun fired, Hudson was fatally wounded, and she called 911.

She allegedly later told investigators that there was a much more contentious encounter between her and Hudson, and that she used the weapon in self defense.

However, that account did not remain consistent either. So authorities determined it was her intent to kill Hudson.

Authorities say Officer Hudson was breaking off his relationship with Finch, which led to an argument during which Finch shot Hudson once in chest from close range.

Officer Hudson's chief says it was a stormy relationship.

Darby Police Chief Robert Smythe says, "I believe absolutely he was afraid of this woman."

Chief Smythe says Officer Hudson's colleagues where he served in both the police and fire departments knew he was having a rough time with his girlfriend.

Hudson had gone to court in January to get a restraining order against her.

Saturday afternoon neighbors heard a loud argument coming from the rear bedroom of Hudson's home in Glenolden. Then a gunshot.

Police sources say it was not a suicide, that officer Hudson was shot with his own service revolver by someone standing about four feet away.

Finch was the only other person there at the time.

Funeral services are scheduled for this Saturday.

It's been a tough loss for the Darby Police and the Yeadon Fire Company.

Smythe says, "He was a tremendous guy. The police department is... I mean, we're handling it. I mean I had to take all the shifts off for two days just because everybody is just so down about it."

Finch is currently being held on $250,000 bail.