Firefighter falls through floor battling blaze in Delaware

BRANDYWINE SPRINGS, Del. (WPVI) -- A firefighter is recovering from serious injuries he received while fighting a blaze in Brandywine Springs, Delaware.

The fire erupted Thursday on the 3200 block of Mill Creek Road as flames shot through the room.

The flames eventually consumed the rest of the house.

The upper floor of the house suddenly collapsed, leaving Captain Dave Smiley Jr. from Newport Fire Company with burns on his hands and back.

Officials have ruled that the fire was sparked by an electrical issue in the laundry room.

The flames ended up causing $250,000 in damage.

Luckily, no one was home when the fire started, and crews were able to rescue a cat.
Copyright © 2019 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.