PHOENIX, AZ -- A Phoenix mother says she learned a lesson about water hoses the hard way after her 9-month-old baby boy was severely burned by water from a hose.
Dominique Woodger is taking her baby, Nicholas, home to recover after he received second-degree burns to 30 percent of his body.
He was accidentally sprayed with scalding hot water out of the garden hose.
Woodger recalled, "All of it was peeling. He had blisters all over the right side."
She says she was about to fill a little pool with water when she turned on the faucet. The extremely hot water came out of the sprinkler head attached to the hose, getting all over her baby who was sitting on the ground.
Woodger said, "I thought he was crying because he was mad, because he hates when he gets sprayed in the face, I didn't think that it was burning him."
These are the kinds of contact burns Phoenix firefighters see often. When it's 115 degrees outside, the water sitting in a hose under the sun could be as hot as 150 degrees.
Phoenix Fire Department Captain Larry Subervi told local station KNXV, "So at those temperatures something as short as a 10 or 30 second exposure can result in a second degree burn."
Nicholas is expected to be OK.
Mom warns other parents of hot water in hoses