NEW YORK, N.Y. (WPVI) -- Rock rules in the operating room.
According to a survey by Spotify, a music streaming service, and Figure 1, a knowledge-sharing platform for healthcare professionals, over 90% of surgeons listen to music in the OR.
And rock is the most popular genre.
Forty-nine-percent of them play rock during operations, followed closely by pop (48%), classical music (43%), jazz (24%) and R&B (21%)*.
One transplant surgeon says the rock makes him comfortable, so he can focus on patients, especially if he's listening to bands from his youth.
They say it also boosts staff morale and coordination.
Eighy-nine-percent of the surgeons answering the survey prefer playlists over albums, and almost a third have more than five playlists on rotation.
But the medical pros aren't always choosing the tunes.
Many surgeons say they also take requests, especially if the patient will be awake, such as for C-sections.
Some use music to distract the patient, by doing "play that tune" from old TV shows and such.
Pop music is tops anesthesiologists, anesthesiology residents and certified nurse anesthetists.
Fifty-nine-percent listen to pop, compared to 44% listening to rock.
Doctors say they turn down the music during critical points in the surgery and when there are complications.
Here's what tops their charts:
* "Rock You Like a Hurricane" - Scorpions
* "Sweet Child O' Mine" - Guns N' Roses
* "Just What the Doctor Ordered" - Ted Nugent
* "Break on Through" - The Doors
* "Paint it, Black" - The Rolling Stones
* "Whole Lotta Love" - Led Zeppelin
* "We Will Rock You" - Queen
* "Back in Black" - AC/DC
* "Cocaine" - Eric Clapton
* "The Wind Cries Mary" - Jimi Hendrix
* "Should I Stay or Should I Go" - The Clash
* "Like a Rolling Stone" - Bob Dylan
* "Rebel Rebel" - David Bowie
* "Beautiful Day" - U2
* "Why Can't This Be Love" - Van Halen
* "Iron Man" - Black Sabbath
* "Who Are You" - The Who
* "Barracuda" - Heart
* "Rock and Roll All Night" - Kiss
* "Tom Sawyer" - Rush
* "Edge of Seventeen" - Stevie Nicks
* "All Right Now" - Free
* "Sympathy for the Devil" - The Rolling Stones
* "Stairway to Heaven" - Led Zeppelin
* "Ace of Spades" - Motrhead
* "Nothing Else Matters"- Metallica
* "Piece of My Heart" - Janis Joplin
* "Under the Bridge" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
* "American Woman" - Lenny Kravitz
* "Take it on the Run" - REO Speedwagon
* "Animal" - Def Leppard
Check out the sounds here.
What's your surgeon listening to in OR? Here's their playlist