2-alarm fire in Delaware Legislative Hall in Dover ruled accident

WPVI logo
Thursday, October 8, 2015

DOVER, Del. (WPVI) -- Officials have ruled a 2-alarm fire in the Delaware Legislative Hall that left two people injured to be an accident.

The fire was reported shortly before 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at the state capitol building at 411 Legislative Ave.

Police said the exhaust pipe, located in the attic, caused nearby combustibles to ignite during a full-load test of the building's backup generator, located in the basement.

The fire extended from the basement to the attic and roof line, but the backup generator was not damaged, police said.

The fire was placed under control around 3:40 p.m.

A police officer was rushed to Kent General Hospital where he was treated and released. A firefighter was treated at the scene.

The General Assembly in on break until January so there was a limited number of staff in the building.

The building was scheduled for reopen Thursday.

Police are investigating.

Related Topics