3rd suspect in attack on Philly school officers surrenders

EMBED </>More Videos

The third man being sought after an assault on school police officers is in custody. (WPVI)

A third suspect is now in custody following the violent assault of two school officers in Northeast Philadelphia.

Edwin Burgos,23, of West Huntingdon Street in Philadelphia, surrendered to officers on Monday morning.

Burgos is charged with two counts each of Criminal Conspiracy, Aggravated Assault, Simple Assault and related offenses.

Burgos' mother contacted Action News to arrange an interview with her son before he surrendered to police.

"They're saying that I attacked the officers because they broke up the fight, but that's not the truth - I broke up the fight," Burgos said. "So you can't say I attacked the officers because of that, I broke it up. Why would I attack them because of that?"

When ask what happened once the officers were there, Burgos said "They started walking me down the middle of the street and I was backing up to protect myself."

Burgos' mother is presenting her own video that, she claims, will prove her son's innocence. Police say they will review it but, for now, Burgos along with his younger brother and his nephew are all in police custody.

The attack last week, caught on cell phone video, left one officer with a broken jaw and the other with bruises.

EMBED More News Videos

Police release surveillance of officers being attacked in Northeast Philadelphia.

Burgos' younger brother and nephew are also charged.

Police say 19-year-old Roger Millington turned himself in back on Wednesday after surveillance images of the violent May 2nd attack aired on local television news stations, including Action News.

Millington, who police say is homeless, has been charged with aggravated assault and other offenses.

The second suspect, a juvenile, was arrested on Thursday. The circumstances surrounding the arrest have not been disclosed.

The juvenile has been charged with aggravated assault and other offenses.

PHOTOS: Officers attacked in Northeast Philadelphia

The incident occurred around 3:30 p.m. on May 2nd on the corner of Cottman and Castor avenues in Northeast Philadelphia.

Authorities say two school police officers were escorting Northeast High School students after dismissal when they noticed two adults assaulting a student.

The officers separated the student and the adults to stop the assault.

That's when one of the adults threw one of the officers to the ground. Another suspect punched the second officer in the face and a third male joined the other adults.

All three began to assault the officers.

One officer suffered a broken jaw and lost some teeth; the other officer had some bruising after reportedly being punched in the face and pushed to the ground.

Neither officer was armed.
Related Topics:
philly newsofficer injuredpolice officer injuredschoolstudentsfightschool fightNortheast Philadelphia
(Copyright ©2018 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)