MANSFIELD TWP., N.J. (WPVI) -- A boil water advisory has been issued for Mansfield Township in Burlington County, New Jersey.
The advisory is due to a loss of water pressure from a 30-inch water main break.
New Jersey American Water issued a boil water advisory as a precautionary measure only for residents in Mansfield Township, with the exception of those living in the Homestead development.
They say this is a standard precaution that is taken whenever there is loss of pressure in our water mains. There is no evidence of any contamination.
New Jersey American Water will provide information as to when the advisory is lifted.
The water main break is off of Route 206, underneath Assiscunk Creek.
Officials say the main is being isolated and repaired and normal service will be restored to customers as soon as possible.
Some New Jersey American Water customers may have experienced low water pressure or a disruption of service.
Until further notice, officials say to bring tap water to a rolling boil for one minute and allow cooling before using for consumption, drinking, ice cubes, washing vegetables and fruit, and for brushing teeth. Please continue to boil your water until you are notified that the water quality is acceptable.
New Jersey American Water also recommends the following steps:
1. Throw away uncooked food or beverages or ice cubes if made with tap water during the day of the advisory;
2. Keep boiled water in the refrigerator for drinking;
3. Rinse hand-washed dishes for a minute in diluted bleach (one tablespoon of household bleach per gallon of tap water) or clean your dishes in a dishwasher using the hot wash cycle and dry cycle.
4. Do not swallow water while you are showering or bathing;
5. Provide pets with boiled water after cooling;
6. Do not use home filtering devices in place of boiling or using bottled water; most home water filters will not provide adequate protection from microorganisms;
7. Use only boiled water to treat minor injuries.
New Jersey American Water will notify customers as soon as the advisory is lifted. If customers have any questions they may call 1-800-272-1325.
Send a breaking news alert
Report a correction or typo
Learn more about the 6abc apps
Boil water advisory issued for Mansfield Township, Burlington County
More TOP STORIES News