Boy says he was burned by hot monkey bars at playground

ST. LOUIS (WPVI) -- A boy in Missouri says he burned his hands on hot playground equipment at summer camp.

10-year-old Jesse Turkington says the pain didn't start right away. He went to see nurses at the camp who bandaged him up.

"When I went to get bandages and stuff, they told me I had to peel the left over skin off and that's when it started hurting," he recalled.

The school says Turkington already had blisters on his hands, and the hot monkey bars made them worse.

The district says it has a policy that no activities are done outside when temperatures reach a heat index of 100 degrees.

His family is sharing the story to remind other parents to be careful on playground equipment that gets baked in the intense summer heat.


Send a breaking news alert
Report a correction or typo
Learn more about the 6abc apps
Copyright © 2020 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.