Carbon monoxide leak prompts evacuation of assisted living facility

An assisted living facility in Hockessin, Delaware was evacuated Friday after elevated levels of carbon monoxide were detected in the building.

It was around 8:30 a.m. when a boiler backfired at the Cokesbury Village Retirement/Assisted Living Facility on the 700 block of Loveville Road.

Staff called 911, firefighters responded, and an evacuation order was given.

A second alarm was sounded at 10:05 for additional manpower to assist in the evacuation.

Five residents were transported to the hospital for evaluation as a precaution.

The source of the CO was traced to a problem with the HVAC boiler.

Apartments were opened up for ventilation.

Residents were allowed to return to their apartments shortly before 3:00 p.m.

Cokesbury Village has 125 independent living apartments in the eight story high-rise building.
Related Topics:
carbon monoxidedel. news
(Copyright ©2019 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)