It was around 7:30 Saturday morning when a fire broke out inside a home on the 100 block of Fronefield Avenue.
"I raced to the scene because my brother called me because my sister called him and said that mommy is stuck in the house they can't get her out," said Desmond Morgan, victim's son.
Family members say 62-year-old Doris Morgan, who had multiple sclerosis, was trapped along with her grandchildren ages 8, 6, 5, 3 and 1. They were sleeping at the time.
Their mother Shahara Martin ran out screaming for help while her husband Ahmad Martin and neighbor Nicholas Wells rescued the children from the basement bedroom.
"It's one of those things you can't' get out of your head - the looks on the kid's faces, the fire shooting out of the back - it was one of the worst things that I've ever seen," said Wells.
"It was really smoky. I could hear all the commotion and I knew that there were children in there and I was just praying they got the children out," said Donna Limbaugh, neighbor.
Doris didn't make it out alive but her grandchildren did because of her son-in-law.
"He risked his own life to save his kids life and he tried his best to save my mother's life. I love and respect that man so much," said Morgan.
"He's a hero, he is. Any parent in their right mind would save their children. No matter what happens to you, you would save your children first," said Limbaugh.
The father is listed in critical but stable condition at Crozer-Chester Medical Center. His children were treated and released from the hospital.
While the family recovers from injuries and the loss, their community spent the day gathering necessities and gifts for this holiday season.
Clothes and toys also filled up Limbaugh's living room. It won't ease the pain but neighbors say it's a start.
"It warms my heart seriously, that there's so many people that come together at a time like this," said Limbaugh.
The victim's daughter and son are thankful for the support.
"She would be happy, she would be happy that they were safe. She would rather herself go then let the kids go," said Davar Rogers, daughter.
The Red Cross is also helping this family of seven.
As for the cause, the fire marshal is investigating but it's possible that the blaze started in the back of the home.
Meanwhile, the response to help has been so overwhelming, the Lower Chichester Volunteer Fire Department is now taking donations at 1540 Huddell Avenue.
For more information click here