Teen ID'd in deadly Hunting Park hit-and-run

HUNTING PARK (WPVI) -- The search continues for the driver who struck and killed a Philadelphia high school student who was leaving work at a Hunting Park auto body shop.

Surveillance video from Poppy and Son's auto body shop shows the final moments of 18-year-old Kevin Maldonado, a junior at Edison High School.

EMBED More News Videos

Surveillance video was released in hopes of finding the driver.

Around 9 p.m. Wednesday, Maldonado stood outside the shop on the 3900 block of Old York Road for about 10 minutes having a conversation.

Then, he walked out into the road to get into the passenger side of a flatbed truck.

As he opened the door, a white Toyota Prius came southbound at a high rate of speed.

Maldonado not only worked at the shop, he was dating the owner's daughter.

According to the owner, Gregorio Esquilin, the hit-and-run occurred right in front of his daughter.

"Beautiful kid. Beautiful guy. Quiet. Working. I don't forget this guy. I don't forget this guy," Esqulin said.

The impact sent Maldonado flying some 30 feet in the air.

He suffered severe head injuries and was taken to Temple University Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Esquillin fought back tears speaking about the young man.

"I love him. I think of him as my son. One piece of my heart," Esquillin said.

EMBED More News Videos

Police are looking for the driver of a vehicle that struck and killed an 18-year-old man in the Hunting Park section of Philadelphia.

Witnesses tell police the driver of the striking vehicle fled on foot.

Investigators found the vehicle a short time later in the 1300 block of West Pike Street.

Police say it had damage consistent with the crash, and, according to records, was stolen some time ago.

"[Witnesses] described a female as the person who normally drives that vehicle. We don't know who was driving the vehicle at the time of the accident. But we are looking for this female who we are pretty confident we know where she frequents; we're pretty confident we're going to find her," Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said.

At the auto body shop Thursday, they were setting up a GoFundMe page to help with funeral costs.

"It was shocking. It was honestly gut wrenching that someone can just do that to a person and then leave like nothing even happened," acquaintance Janitza Malabe said.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact Philadelphia police.
Copyright © 2019 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.