PHILADELPHIA (WPVI) -- As the temperatures continue to drop over the next week, the Philadelphia Fire Department is urging people to be careful with space heaters which can quickly cause a fire.
"You really want to have space heaters away from anything else. Don't use kerosene heaters, or anything else that uses fossil fuels, inside your home. But even an electric space heater can cause a fire if it's not connected to the electrical system properly or if it's too close to combustibles, curtains, or furniture," Philadelphia Fire Commissioner Adam Thiel said.
The commissioner also wants to remind people of the importance of a carbon monoxide detector and a smoke alarm which should be on every level of your home.
Send a breaking news alert to Action News
Report a correction or typo
Want to comment?
Learn more about the 6abc apps
Philadelphia Fire Department issues space heater warning
More TOP STORIES News