Several people sickened after hazmat situation at Penncrest High School

MIDDLETOWN TWP., Pa. (WPVI) -- It was a chaotic scene at Penncrest High School in Middletown Township, Delaware County Friday night.

Crews were called to the high school at 134 Barren Road just after 10 p.m. to reports of people getting sick in the men's locker room.

Thirteen football players fell ill following their game against Radnor. Several were taken to the hospital.

A fire official tells Action News a ventilation system in the locker room malfunctioned.

"Upon arrival, crews discovered what we suspect to be an ozone machine in the men's locker room that was creating an irritant to a number of the football players," said Mark Kirchgasser.

Some of the players were taken to Riddle Memorial Hospital for treatment.

The rest were treated in the school's parking lot.

Their injuries were not considered to be serious.

"We're very pleased that all of our students are doing fine and are grateful to the many emergency responders who were on the scene so swiftly," Rose Tree Media School District Superintendent Jim Wigo said in a statement. "We felt very supported by our county service providers and are thankful that this situation was resolved so quickly. The safety of our students and staff is always our first priority."

Send a breaking news alert
Report a correction or typo
Learn more about the 6abc apps
Copyright © 2019 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.