The New York Jets and quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick ended their five-month contract dispute on Wednesday. The two sides finalized a one-year, $12 million contract on the eve of the team's first training-camp practice, sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.
The deal also includes another $3 million in incentives, which could boost the value to $15 million, a source told Schefter.
The 11th-hour agreement culminated one of the strangest chapters in team history, a long stalemate that dominated the Jets' offseason. They wanted Fitzpatrick and he wanted them, yet he refused to sign the offer that sat on the table for months -- three years, $24 million, including a total guarantee of $15 million.
The Jets will have to create room under the salary cap for Fitzpatrick. They have only $9.1 million in camp space, according to NFLPA records.
The situation got weird on Wednesday, when players said they were instructed by team brass not to discuss Fitzpatrick with the media.
Finally, the Jets' roster is whole.
After sitting out the offseason, Fitzpatrick is way behind, but he's expected to be the opening-day quarterback. Coach Todd Bowles maintained throughout the stalemate that Fitzpatrick, who set the franchise record with 31 touchdown passes last season, would be the starter if he re-signed.
Geno Smith, who was replaced by Fitzpatrick last preseason after having his jaw broken by a teammate's sucker-punch in the locker room, returns to his No. 2 role. Rookie Christian Hackenberg and second-year quarterback Bryce Petty will compete for the No. 3 job, although it's possible they will keep four on the 53-man roster.
Fitzpatrick had no other offers during free agency, yet the Jets were reluctant to hand the No. 1 job to Smith, the nominal starter in the offseason. The result was a staring contest, each side waiting for the other to blink.
Knowing his comfort level with the coaches, the players and the city, the organization was quietly confident it would re-sign Fitzpatrick, 33, a career journeyman who led the Jets to their best offensive season since 1998. He became a popular leader in the locker room, fueling a pro-Fitzpatrick sentiment throughout the impasse.
Several players, namely wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker, were outspoken in their support for Fitzpatrick, perhaps putting pressure on the organization to complete a deal. Team officials were transparent, saying from the outset they wanted him back.
But Fitzpatrick was stung by the team's contract proposal, telling friends he'd never accept a deal that included a total of $12 million in the second and third years -- essentially, backup money. The offer also included up to $12 million in incentives, but he didn't bite. He made $3.25 million last season.
Fitzpatrick didn't renew the lease for the New Jersey home he rented last season, fueling speculation about his future. He also stopped returning texts from teammates, according to Marshall, who said he was starting to worry.
As much as they appreciated his 2015 performance, the Jets view Fitzpatrick as a "bridge" quarterback, a caretaker until Hackenberg or Petty is ready to take over. That led to a sharp difference of opinion at the bargaining table. Fitzpatrick initially sought $15 million a year, as he tried to piggy-back on the Sam Bradford and Brock Osweiler deals with the Philadelphia Eagles and Houston Texans, respectively.
The Jets flirted with other free-agent quarterbacks, Robert Griffin III and Brian Hoyer, but talks never reached the serious stage.
Fitzpatrick, playing for his sixth team, arrived last year in a trade with the Houston Texans. His career record as a starter 43-61-1 in 11 seasons, including no playoff appearances. He was on the verge of breaking the postseason slump last year, but he tainted his storybook season by throwing three interceptions in a season-ending loss to the Buffalo Bills.
Sources: Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jets agree to a 1-year, $12M deal
More TOP STORIES News