WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. (WPVI) --Florida health officials say they're investigating a case of Zika virus infection in Palm Beach County that was likely contracted in the United States.
It is the 17th case of Zika virus in south Florida believed to be acquired from infected mosquitoes.
Gov. Rick Scott said in a news release Monday that the Florida Department of Health is working to determine the source of the infection.
The Department of Health has begun door-to-door outreach and sampling in the area and mosquito abatement and reduction activities are also taking place.
The infected person had recently traveled to Miami-Dade County, where more than a dozen non-travel-related Zika cases were discovered last week.
The release says health officials still believe active transmissions of the mosquito-borne virus are only taking place within an area smaller than 1 square mile in Miami-Dade County.
They have narrowed the epicenter of the infections to 2 buildings.
With the new school year starting in the next few weeks, the release also says Scott has directed state health and education officials to work together in providing Zika prevention guidance and resources to students, parents and educators.