Fire forces residents from Montco apartments

EMBED </>More Videos

Officials have ruled the blaze accidental. It destroyed several units and left a number of families looking for another place to stay.

A multi-alarm fire that forced 30 people from their apartments in Upper Merion Township has been ruled accidental.

The blaze broke out at around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday at the Abrams Run Apartments in the 300 block of Bill Smith Boulevard.

Firefighters arrived to heavy flames showing on the second floor of one of the two-story buildings in the complex.

A woman who lived in the apartment where the fire appears to have started said she was lying in bed when she smelled something.

She put her hand to the wall and it was hot. She then went on her balcony and saw flames.

Neighbors say they were woken up by a female police officer who was banging on doors.

Sixteen units were damaged and half of them were destroyed, along with half of the roof.

Nearby wires and a transformer also caught on fire.

PECO crews arrived on the scene and and shut of the gas.

In the end, 16 units were damaged. Half of them were destroyed, along with half the roof.

All the residents managed to get out safely.

The Red Cross is assisting eight families.

Related Topics:
apartment firefirepa. newsUpper Merion Township
(Copyright ©2017 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments