Northeast Philadelphia girl, 12, burned by iPhone in her pocket

EMBED </>More Videos

A 12-year-old girl suffered 2nd degree burns on the way to school when her iPhone caught fire and burned a hole in her pocket.

A 12-year-old Northeast Philadelphia girl suffered 2nd degree burns on the way to school when her iPhone caught fire and burned a hole in her pocket.

"I was shocked that had happened," said Alexis Rolon.

Alexis Rolon can't believe what happened to her.

She was walking to school, when her cell phone made a noise - but it wasn't a ring or text

"I was just standing there - all I heard was 'shzzzz' and there was smoke," said Alexis.

The smoke then led to a sharp pain.

"I felt it burning, I took it out - it was on fire so I stepped on it to take out the fire," said Alexis.

Her Apple iPhone 5c literally caught fire. It was in her back pocket when it started smoking.

"It was just in my pocket - I didn't touch it," she said.

The fire badly damaged the phone, melting the lower half of the frame and burning the interior.

The heat was so strong, the 12-year-old was burned on her skin.

It also burned a hole through the back pocket of her jeans.

Alexis continued on her way to school to get help.

"I went to the nurse - she called my mom," she said.

They went to the hospital where doctors told Alexis she'd suffered 2nd degree burns.

"Never, never, never ever have I seen a phone set on fire like this," said Yvette Rivera.

Rivera is a family friend and once worked for a major cell phone company.

She says the cell phone catching fire is a big concern

"I think this is crazy insane. This is a kids' phone - something we buy to keep in touch with our kids - to know it's something that it might harm them is very scary," said Rivera.

Action News reached out to Apple who said that this type of incident is uncommon and they are investigating.
Related Topics:
technologyiphoneapplecellphonephilly newstechnologyNortheast Philadelphia
(Copyright ©2018 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)