Del. man suing over e-cigarette fire

EMBED </>More News Videos

A man from Bear, Delaware, is still recovering from injuries he received when his electronic cigarette exploded in his pocket.

A man from Bear, Delaware, is still recovering from injuries he received when his electronic cigarette exploded in his pocket.

George Ayers received second-degree burns on his right leg, which required surgery.

Back in March, he was unloading groceries when one of the e-cigarette's batteries caught fire, burning right through his pants.

Ayers is now suing both the manufacturer, and the store where he bought the cigarette.

He says no one ever warned him about the risk.

"The next thing I know, flames were coming up past my face, and I just dropped everything and started swatting at it trying to put it out," said Ayers. "I just don't want to see this happen to anybody else."

The store involved, Delaware Vapor, has no comment about the case at this time.

Action News has reached out to the manufacturer, LG Chem America, but has not heard back.
Related Topics:
newsdelaware newscigarettesexplosionlawsuitBear
(Copyright ©2016 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)

Load Comments