Family fighting to bring remains home after couple found dead in Mexico Airbnb

ALBANY, N.Y. -- A vacation to Mexico ended tragically for a New York couple and now their family is struggling to have their remains returned home.

A faulty heater is being blamed after Ed Winders and his partner Barbara Moller were found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning in their Airbnb two weeks ago in Mexico Central Highlands.

Winders' children are now dealing with language barriers and red tape as they try to bring the couple's bodies home to Albany.

Police in Mexico are holding the couple's bodies while they continue to investigate.

"It's hard to make sense of something, you know we all pass at some point in time, but it just seems so out there and wrong," son Eric Winders said.

In a statement, an Airbnb spokesperson said: ""We are deeply saddened by this tragedy, and our thoughts are with Ed and Barbara's families, loved ones and friends. We are reaching out to their children to extend our full support to help them through this difficult time."

In the meantime, people are donating to an online fundraiser to help with memorial and transportation costs.


Send a News Tip to Action News Learn More About 6abc Apps