Half-naked girl found unconscious

April 3, 2009 2:37:11 PM PDT
Philadelphia police are trying to figure out what happened to a 14-year-old girl found partially unclothed and nearly unconscious in Fairmount Park Thursday night.A jogger discovered the teen, who was dressed only in her underwear, near a path along Martin Luther King Drive.

The special victims unit is investigating this as a sexual assault, but so far there is no evidence that a sexual assault was actually committed.

The discovery of her along the path was so confusing that, at first, fire rescue personnel had thought she was the victim of a car accident.

The girl was found in a wooded area between the Schuylkill River and the jogging path along MLK Drive. That's where they had found the teen's wet clothes last night.

Action News spoke to the driver who called 911 Thursday night.

She did not want to be identified.

"She was laying there on the ground in the fetal position, not responsive," she said.

A jogger had first discovered the 14-year-old girl at 8:30pm, and not having a cell phone had to flag down the driver down for help.

The teen was wearing only a bra and underwear.

"Some other gentlemen came up and tried talking to her, and asked her name, age, and what happened to her. She finally woke up, and said a few things, then went back out," the driver said.

Doctors have found no evidence of a sexual assault - the teen only complained of a headache.

She says she does not remember how she ended up on the path, in a disrobed state.

Police are not sure if the girl truly doesn't remember, or just doesn't want to cooperate.

Sources say the girl left home alone sometime before 6:00 p.m. Thursday and was found in the park at 8:40 p.m.

They have spoken to her parents, who say the girl has run away before.

The teen is familiar with this area of Fairmount Park - she used to live nearby.

Raising the level of intrigue in this case is the fact that the man known as the Fairmount Park Rapist has never been caught.

He has raped, or tried to rape, four women in that area since 2003, killing one of them.

However, aside from no evidence of sexual assault, detectives say there are no clues indicating the rapist was at work again.

The teen has been released from Temple Hospital. She is now with her parents.

Detectives hope to try and interview her again Friday, but given her confused and unwilling state, they realize that may not happen.

Follow Action News on Twitter

Get Action News on your website

Follow Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.