2 boys critical, suspect dead after stabbing rampage in West Philadelphia

EMBED </>More Videos

Police have identified the attempted murder suspect who was shot and killed by officers. (WPVI)

Authorities have identified the man fatally shot by police who they say went on a stabbing rampage in West Philadelphia that left two children, including his own son, in critical condition and two women injured.

EMBED More News Videos

Police have identified the attempted murder suspect who was shot and killed by officers.

Police have identified the man as 32-year-old Christopher Sowell. Action News is told Sowell was recently in a treatment facility for addiction.

The incident began shortly after 7 p.m. Wednesday along the 6200 block of Hazel Avenue in West Philadelphia.

Police say the man assaulted his 12-year-old daughter, grabbing her by the throat.

They say he then slashed the throat of his 8-year-old son and stabbed him.

Police say the man then stabbed a 13-year-old, who is described as the uncle to Sowell's two children.

The victims were rushed to Children's Hospital of Philadelphia for care.

EMBED More News Videos

Children remain hospitalized after an attack in West Philadelphia.

Police say the suspect then walked over to a family friend's home at Cobbs Creek Parkway and Webster Street, about four blocks from the initial scene.

EMBED More News Videos

The Action Cam on the scene as officers investigate a police-involved shooting of a stabbing suspect.

The residents inside let him in and that's when, police say, the man slashed a 70-year-old woman with a knife. Police say the knife broke and he then punched a mentally disabled 42-year-old woman. Action News is told these two victims will be OK.

Police arrived at this location after getting calls saying the man was firing a weapon.

"That male comes out. He is confronted by police. He's got his hand in his pocket. They tell him several times to take his hand out. He abruptly takes his hand out and they fire multiple times, striking him," Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross said.

At the time, because of the phone calls they were receiving, the severity of the victims' injuries, and the amount of blood at the scene, police say they believed the suspect had a gun on him.

Responding officers rushed the man to Penn Presbyterian Medical Center where he later died.

As of now, no gun has been recovered.

Police say this is an ongoing investigation.
Related Topics:
philly newsstabbingWest Philadelphia
(Copyright ©2019 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.)