Ax, machete, pill bottles found near Bradley Stone's body

Thursday, December 18, 2014
VIDEO: Coroner: Not yet known how Brad Stone died
EMBED <>More Videos

There is now a mystery over the death of Bradley Stone.

PENNSBURG, Pa. (WPVI) -- The Montgomery County Coroner's Office said on Wednesday that it is not yet known how the man responsible for this week's murder spree, Bradley Stone, died.

District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman said on Tuesday that Stone died of self-inflicted stab or cuttings wounds and some kind of knife was found at the scene.

However, the county coroner, Dr. Walter Hofman, said on Wednesday that Stone did not have any slashing or cutting wounds. Hofman said Stone had a limited injury to his left leg, but that injury did not contribute to his death.

It's not yet known what caused the confusion.

Investigators do say empty medicine bottles along with a broad ax and a bloody machete were found with Stone's body.

Hofman said his office is awaiting a toxicology report. Though such reports usually take three to four weeks, his office asked the text be expedited.

Meanwhile, attention is now turning toward healing and concern for those who survived and their families.

"We appreciate the support from everybody," said Rich Tompkins. "Words can't express our gratitude."

Tompkins is the nephew of Joanne Hill. She was Bradley Stone's former mother-in-law, one of six family members slaughtered by Stone.

Tompkins attended a vigil for the victims at Emmanuel Lutheren Church in Souderton Tuesday night.

Many here were close friends of the Flick family.

Trisha Flick and her husband Aaron were slashed and shot to death. 14-year-old Nina was stabbed to death.

Her 17-year-old brother, Anthony, lost three fingers trying to protect her.

Anthony barricaded himself on the third floor of his parents home after the attack. He also had a gaping skull fracture, but is expected to make a full recovery.

"The Flick family was a second family to me," said family friend Michael Kelly. "I loved them dearly."

The vigils came just hours after Bradley Stone's body was removed from a wooded area near his home in Pennsburg.

Investigators say after his rampage Stone dropped his two daughters off with a neighbor. He was found dead in a wooded area about 200 yards from his home.

He had been involved in a bitter custody battle with his ex-wife, Nicole, and had sought an emergency custody order last week, but was denied by the court.

The Souderton-Telford Rotary Club is also raising funds for Nicole Hill's daughters and Anthony Flick.

Souderton's police chief, James Leary, is also president of the Rotary.

"That's tugging at people's hearts right now and I'm hoping their response to that will be generosity to these families," Leary said.

For more information about the fund, visit the Rotary Club's Facebook page.