Dennis Quaid and his wife lash out at hospital
LOS ANGELES (AP) - January 10, 2008 The couple said they were particularly upset to learn from a
state investigation that their babies were given dosages of heparin
that were 2,000 times stronger than what was prescribed.
The report's findings released Wednesday by the California
Department of Public Health conflict with the hospital's initial
report that the children each received one vial containing 10,000
units per milliliter of heparin instead of the common dosage of 10
units per milliliter. The report found that the children actually
received two of the vials.
"We find it outrageous and totally unacceptable that we are
learning for the first time... exactly what transpired," the actor
and his wife, Kimberly, said in a statement to the Los Angeles
Times.
"We were told by upper Cedars-Sinai administration that our
children had received only one 10,000 unit dose of heparin when in
fact they had received two 10,000 unit doses over an 8-hour period
that we now know of. The hospital's lack of candor has left us with
the uneasy feeling that we may never know the whole story," the
statement said.
The hospital has previously issued an apology to the patients'
families and said it has taken steps to provide more training to
staff and review all policies and procedures involving high-risk
medication.
The state report describes the cases of three, unidentified
patients. All recovered, but two needed a drug that reverses the
effects of heparin.
The Quaid family's representatives previously confirmed the
newborns' involvement. The twins, born Nov. 8 to a surrogate
mother, were at Cedars-Sinai for treatment of an infection.
The 20-page report said the hospital overdosed three children
with heparin, a high-risk medication used to prevent clotting in
intravenous tubes, on Nov. 18.
It found that the mishandling of the drug put pediatric patients
in "immediate jeopardy," meaning it has caused, or was likely to
cause, "serious injury or death to the patients who received the
wrong medication." The report faulted the hospital for its
"deficient practices" in giving the drug.
A call to a hospital spokeswoman early Thursday was not
immediately returned.
Cedars-Sinai's chief medical officer, Michael L. Langberg, said
in a statement that the state's review confirmed the hospital's own
internal findings about the error and that the hospital had
cooperated fully with the investigation.
The investigation also found the hospital did not adequately
educate staff about the safe use of heparin and that nurses and
pharmacy technicians did not check labels on the vials and did not
keep adequate records of when it was used.
The lapses began when two pharmacy technicians mistakenly
delivered 100 vials of the high-concentration heparin to the
pediatric unit.
The Quaids have sued Baxter Healthcare Corp., the Illinois-based
makers of heparin, accusing the firm of negligence in packaging
different doses of the product in similar vials with blue
backgrounds. In February, Baxter Healthcare Corp. sent a letter
warning health care workers to carefully read labels on the heparin
packages to avoid confusion.