Boy Scout burned by flammable liquid dies

July 11, 2008 6:03:17 PM PDT
A 17-year-old Boy Scout who was burned when an older scout spilled burning flammable liquid on him has died. Sean Whitley of Marlton died Thursday in the Temple University Hospital Burn Unit in Philadelphia, where he was taken after being injured on July 6 at the Joseph A. Citta Scout Camp in Waretown.

The Ocean County Prosecutor's Office announced the death on Friday. It is continuing to investigate. No charges have been filed.

Authorities say Whitley was burned when an 18-year-old scout, who is also a senior staff member at the camp, ignited rubbing alcohol from a bottle to create a flammable circle on a makeshift table.

Investigators say the staff member, whose name was not released, thought the fire had burned out and squirted more fuel onto the ring. An ember ignited a flame, which traveled back up the stream into the bottle.

The staff member tossed the bottle, which spilled the flaming liquid onto Whitley and two other scouts who were watching. The two others were less seriously burned.