AP Source: Martinez agrees to deal with Phils

July 14, 2009 8:48:02 PM PDT
Pedro Martinez is returning to the major leagues. A person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press on Tuesday night that Martinez has agreed to a $1 million, one-year contract with the Philadelphia Phillies. The source spoke on condition of anonymity because an official announcement hadn't been made.

The source says the three-time Cy Young Award winner is in town for a physical, and the Phillies planned to hold a news conference on Wednesday.

Martinez can earn up to $1.5 million in incentives. The eight-time All-Star will need to make at least a few starts in the minors before he's ready to join Philadelphia's depleted rotation.

The 37-year-old Martinez went 5-6 with a 5.61 ERA for the New York Mets last year. The free agent pitched in the World Baseball Classic before this season.

Follow Action News on Twitter

Get Action News on your website

Follow Action News on Facebook

Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.


Load Comments